Holmes Hotel

The Holmes Hotel

The Holmes Hotel

In April 1889, Thomas Holmes opened his 30-room hotel at the corner of State and Main with great fanfare, hosting a Board of Trade banquet with visitors from as far away as Dayton. The local paper declared, “The Holmes House is a blaze of glory from attic to basement.”

This Romanesque Revival structure with its highly decorative facade also housed two retail businesses. The site where the 1889 building stands was lot #1 on the plat map of 1839 and was where the log cabin of James Westervelt stood.