Tickets this year are available at W.A.R.M., 150 Heatherdown Drive. The location changed when the wall at the Westerville Convention and Visitors Bureau was damaged in a car crash and the offices were temporarily closed. You will be able to buy tickets the day of the tour at City Hall beginning at 1 p.m. Sunday, July 24.
204 N. State St.
Burr Linnabury, prominent Westerville resident lived in this home built in 1900.
His father was involved in the Underground Railroad helping to hide runaways.
The son had a real estate business, served as secretary of the Westerville Fair and director of the Westerville Bank.
Church of the Master
Otterbein University was founded in 1847 as a United Brethren denomination college. Four years later, the denomination chartered a congregation in Westerville.
The church held services at a series of locations on the college campus including 45 years in Towers Hall. In 1916, the congregation built this building.
For many years its sanctuary was the largest auditorium in town. As a result of a 1968 merger, this church became a Methodist congregation known as Church of the Master.
Built in 1877 at a cost of $2,346., this structure served as the home of the Salem Evangelical Church until 1950 when it became the Grange Hall.
In 1956, Lillian and Paul Frank, faculty members at Otterbein purchased the home and renovated it to be their residence.
Lillian lived in the home until her death in 1999 when it was bequeathed to Otterbein to be a place of learning.
Local History Center/ Anti-Saloon League Museum at the Library
Housed in the building that was the Anti-Saloon League of America’s printing headquarters, the museum shares the story of the organization that brought Prohibition to the country by successful lobbying and printing efforts.
The Anti-Saloon League Museum has a new exhibit on the Prohibition era.
The Local History Center is displaying clothing from its collection highlighting different periods of Westerville history.
Underground Railroad Conductor, Bishop William Hanby and his son, songwriter Benjamin Hanby, lived in this home.
Benjamin Hanby’s song “Darling Nelly Gray” is one of the most important pieces of Civil War era music.
Owned by the Ohio History Connection and managed by the Westerville Historical Society, the home, furnished in the style of the 1850s, currently has an exhibit on Ohio Abolitionists.
114 N. State St.
This lovely brick home was built in 1900 and was the home of the William Young family. Son of the family Curtis Young fought in France during World War I and died of influenza.
He is buried in LeMans, France.
When the local American Legion post was formed it was named the Young-Budd post in honor of this young fallen soldier and George Budd who died of meningitis.
80 E. Park St.
Built in 1857 on land that was part of the fifty-two acre Otterbein College Farm, this home is one of the oldest in the area.
In the 1850s, Otterbein students were part of the “manual labor movement” which induced them to work on the land for good physical exercise and in some instances to help defray tuition costs.
31 W. Plum St.
This brick Victorian-style structure was built by George Stoner in 1860. The home was purchased by Reverend George West in 1874.
His family continued to own and live in the home until his granddaughter Georgia West Park passed away in the 1950s. Miss West was the last living descendant of Peter Westervelt, one of the Westervelt brothers who helped found the village.
She organized a D.A.R. chapter in town which was named for her ancestor Jacobus Westervelt who fought for the colonies in the U. S. Revolution
Longfellow Elementary School
This structure was the first school built in Westerville for the sole purpose of housing only elementary age students. When the Vine Street School (Emerson) was built it housed all grades.
On February 2, 1931, students who were being moved from Emerson to Longfellow, packed up their supplies and books and sadly left some of their classmates behind as they moved to this new school.
Today it houses an all-day kindergarten program.